Friday, July 16, 2021

Salmon and Creamed Spinach

I was never a big fan of salmon until I started Keto.  

The recipe I am sharing today is one that I found on

Pinterest (thanks to "Simply Home Cooked") for sharing this recipe.  It uses the air fryer so it is very quick and easy.  I have tried both frozen and fresh salmon and I must say that fresh salmon is MUCH better than frozen.  I buy the wild caught (not farm raised) fresh salmon from the grocery store.  I also mix up my own tartar sauce (recipe below) which tastes delicious with this recipe.  Click here for the Air Fryer Keto Salmon recipe.    I make this recipe at least twice a month.  Please note:  The recipe does call for brown sugar, but if you are doing Keto just leave this out!

Carly's Simple Tarter Sauce

I don't measure out ingredients, so this is just a guesstimate!  

1 cup Kraft Real Mayo

1/2 cup dill pickle relish

1/2 tsp. dried dill weed

1/4 tsp. dried minced onion

1/2 tsp. yellow mustard (optional......sometimes I add this and sometimes I do not).



Creamed Spinach:
Another recipe that I make very often, and goes well with any seafood recipe, is creamed spinach.  Just like my tartar sauce recipe, I do not measure out the ingredients when I make this, I just eyeball it.  The recipe below is a guesstimate, so adjust as needed!  Keep in mind that fresh spinach wilts down a LOT when you cook it, so if your pan is overflowing with spinach at first don't worry a bit.  It cooks down within a couple of minutes.  

In my family, we call this recipe "Spinach Ala St. John" because when my parents took a trip to St.  John in the Virgin Islands, my Mom had a recipe like this.  She came home and recreated it for us and we all loved it!  Thanks Mom!  

Spinach ala St. John
1-2 T. olive oil
1-2 T. butter
1 container fresh spinach
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 -1 cup heavy whipping cream (start with 1/2 cup and add more if you would like)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt 
1/8 tsp. pepper
sprinkle of garlic salt (optional - I like Lawry's brand garlic salt)

Melt butter & olive oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add fresh spinach and cook for 3-5 minutes until it's wilted down.  Add the minced garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes.  Add the heavy whipping cream and simmer for 5-10 minutes.  Stir in the parmesan cheese and seasonings.  Enjoy!












No comments:

Post a Comment